COLUMBUS, Ohio – After a two week break, the Ohio Dominican men's basketball team will travel to the Upper Peninsula of Michigan for a pair of Great Lakes Intercollegiate Athletic Conference games against Michigan Tech on Jan. 2 and Northern Michigan on Jan. 4.
Ohio Dominican Coach Dan Evans (Lawrence, 2004): Is in his first season at ODU and first season as a head coach. He spent the last six seasons as the top-assistant coach for fellow GLIAC member Hillsdale.
Series against Michigan Tech: This is the third ever meeting between the Panthers and the Huskies. MTU currently holds a 2-0 advantage in the series. Last season, the Huskies defeated the Panthers 75-56 in Alumni Hall.
Series against Northern Michigan: Saturday's game represents the fourth meeting between these two teams. The Wildcats are 3-0 all-time against ODU. Last year, the Wildcats defeated the Panthers 77-73 in Columbus.
News, Notes, and Storylines
- Sophomore Mark Minch (West Chester, Ohio) has scored double-digits in all eight games this season.
- Fellow sophomore Trent Weaver (Hilliard, Ohio) has posted a double-double in six of the eight games this season.
- Weaver is first in the GLIAC in rebounds per game, pulling down 10.6 per contest.
- In the conference, the Panthers rank in the top-10 in first in offensive rebounds per game (13.8), fourth in free throws made per game (17.5), and fourth in total rebounds per game (40.0).
- Three Panthers rank in the top-10 in four different categories in the conference. Minch is ninth in points per game (19.9) and sixth in 3-point percentage (53.3), Weaver is first in rebounds per game (10.6), and senior Don Kellum (Chicago, Ill.) is eighth in field goal percentage (60.4).
- Three different Panthers are averaging double-digits: Minch (19.9), Weaver (14.5), and sophomore Chad Nelson (Columbus, Ohio) with 12.8.
Scouting the Huskies: Two players are averaging double digits. Austin Armga is averaging 28.0 pgg while Ben Stelzer is averaging 21.7. Armga is also the leading rebounder, pulling down 4.7 boards per contest.
Scouting the Wildcats: The Wildcats have just two players in double figures this season. Marcus Hall is averaging 12.9 pgg while teammate Justin Newell is averaging 12.2. Chavis Mattison is the team's leading rebounder with 4.6 rebounds per game.
Contact: Sarah Twiggs