Posted: Sep 27, 2017
COLUMBUS, Ohio -- Ohio Dominican's football team bounced back in a big way with a 51-0 win against Lake Erie in week four, and the Panthers will look to keep that momentum rolling as ODU travels to Malone for a 7:30 p.m. kickoff Saturday.
The Panthers are 8-1 all-time against Malone. The eight wins are tied for the most against any opponent in school history, as ODU is also 8-1 all-time against Lake Erie.
After facing a daunting non-conference schedule that featured two of the top-10 teams in the D2Football.com poll and a contest at Penn, ODU racked up 640 yards against Lake Erie, its sixth-highest total in a game in school history, and registered the seventh shutout in program history.
The Panthers scored touchdowns on five consecutive drives in the second and third quarters as the offense continued to roll. ODU had nine plays of 20 or more yards in the game and ripped off 85 plays, one week after being on the field for 86 plays at Penn.
The offense continued to strike quickly, with three scoring drives that lasted less than two minutes. Through four games, the Panthers have nine such scoring drives.
Overall, ODU's offense ranks seventh in the country with 502.5 yards per game, and the Panthers are also 12th in the nation in converting third downs (49.2 percent). The Panthers are also one of 10 teams without an interception thrown.
The wide receiver trio of Cory Contini, David Turner and Cedric Washington continue to excel. The Panthers are the only school in Super Region One (G-MAC, MEC, NE-10 and PSAC) to have three receivers averaging at least 85 yards per game, and one of just two schools (Slippery Rock) to have two receivers (Contini, Turner) averaging better than 100 yards per game.
Meanwhile, the defense authored an impressive performance against the Storm, as 23 different players had at least one tackle in the win. It was the first home shutout since blanking Urbana 56-0 on Nov. 8, 2008. It was the sixth largest margin of victory in school history and tied for the second largest margin in ODU's Division II era, dating back to 2010.
The defense forced Lake Erie into 21 incomplete passes and the Storm threw for just 224 yards on 50 pass attempts, or 4.5 yards per pass. Tre McIntyre made 11 tackles and Shyoun Petteway had nine stops with an interception.
• Since 2006, ODU has an overall record of 87-38 (.696 win percentage.) The Panthers are 41-13 in their last 54 games (.759 win percentage.) ODU has also won 39 of its last 51 regular season games (.765).
• Over the past 54 games, ODU has outscored opponents by 821 points, an average of 15.2 points per game. The Panthers have scored 30 or more points 35 times in that stretch and held opponents to 14 points or fewer 21 times.
• ODU is 39-8 against opponents from Ohio since 2007 (.830 win percentage.)
• The Panthers are 24-6 in their last 30 regular season road games (.800).
• ODU is 43-3 (.935) in its last 46 games against unranked opponents, dating back to Oct. 15, 2011.
OHIO DOMINICAN HIGHLIGHTS VS. LAKE ERIE