COLUMBUS, Ohio -- Ohio Dominican's football team seeks its 20th consecutive regular season win as the Panthers take on Lake Erie at 1 p.m. Saturday in Painesville.
The matchup between the Panthers (4-0, 4-0 GLIAC) and the Storm (1-3, 1-3 GLIAC) features one of the top defenses in the conference facing off against one of the league's best offenses. ODU enters the contest holding opponents to just 270.0 yards per game, including 89.0 rushing yards and 2.9 yards per carry. Meanwhile, the Storm is averaging 476.8 yards per game and over 275 yards per game on the ground.
ODU, which moved up to No. 8 in the AFCA poll this week, held Walsh in check last week in a 26-8 victory, limiting the Cavaliers to 212 total yards and just 49 yards on 23 carries. The Panthers dominated the time of possession battle (37:22 – 22:38) as Walsh converted just 2-of-13 third downs and did not score until midway through the fourth quarter. The defense also came up with three interceptions as Walsh quarterback Brody Tonn completed 15-of-36 passes.
Junior Billy Eakins (Pickerington, Ohio) was named the GLIAC Defensive Player of the Week after recording an interception, breaking up two passes and tallying five tackles. DeWayne Clemmons (Indianapolis, Ind.) and Da'Twane Harris (Cleveland, Ohio) also had interceptions, while Austin Osborne (Jackson, Ohio) had six tackles (2.0 for loss) and a sack.
The offense totaled 444 yards and came up with enough big plays despite scoring just one touchdown in six red zone trips. Senior Mark Miller (Cincinnati, Ohio) completed 22-of-33 passes for 276 yards and Brandon Schoen (Lewis Center, Ohio) ran 143 yards on a school record 36 carries. Freshman JT McFarland (Zanesville, Ohio) had a career-best 75 receiving yards, including a 51 yard reception, and Jerad Butler (Nevada, Ohio) also caught a career-high four passes for 50 yards and a score.
Schoen continues to draw closer to Mike Noffsinger's career rushing record. The junior is now just 94 yards away from breaking Noffsinger's ODU mark of 2,714 yards that he set in 2011.
• Since 2006, ODU has an overall record of 64-26 (.711 win percentage.) The Panthers are 26-4 in their last 30 games (.866 win percentage.)
• ODU is 29-5 against opponents from Ohio since 2007 (.853 win percentage.)
• During the 19-game regular season win streak, ODU has outscored opponents 780-310, with an average margin of victory of 24.7 points per game. The Panthers have scored 30 or more points 16 times in the streak and held opponents to 14 points or fewer 10 times.
• Over the past 26 games, ODU's offensive line has allowed just 12 sacks. They have surrendered just two in 2014 and 15 tackles for loss this season in 296 offensive snaps. The 15 tackles for loss are the seventh fewest nationally.
• In the five game series with Lake Erie, the Panthers are averaging 42.2 points and 488.8 yards per game.
CONTACT: Scott Miles