COLUMBUS, Ohio -- After a dominant second half performance against Malone, Ohio Dominican's football team hits the road for a matchup against nationally ranked Grand Valley State at 7 p.m. Saturday.
Ohio Dominican was projected by the conference's coaches to claim the South Division title in the preseason poll, while the Lakers were voted to win the North Division crown. The Panthers enter the week ranked No. 10 in the AFCA poll and No. 7 in the D2Football.com poll, while the Lakers are No. 18 (AFCA) and No. 15 (D2Football.com).
ODU has won 16 straight regular season games entering this weekend.
Holding a 17-14 lead over Malone at halftime in last Saturday's game, the Panthers broke free with 42 unanswered points in the second half. The defense came up with six takeaways – five in the second half alone – and limited the Pioneers to just 41 yards of total offense after intermission.
Aided by great field position, with an average drive start at its own 45, the offense came to life, scoring on six of eight second half possessions. The Panthers ran for 206 yards while throwing for 274 and did not turn the ball over. They scored on all seven trips to the red zone and converted 9 of 15 third downs.
Mark Miller threw for 239 yards and four scores, while Brandon Schoen ran for 93 yards and caught a 79 yard touchdown pass. Abe Johnson had a pair oftouchdown receptions as well. Twelve different receivers caught a pass and eight players had rushing attempts.
Defensively, Sydney Omameh made a career-best 10 tackles, while Marquise Tyus and Cody Culbertson each had eight stops. Culbertson also had a sackand two forced fumbles and was named the GLIAC Defensive Player of theWeek.
Grand Valley suffered a 26-23 double overtime loss last Thursday night to Azusa Pacific. The Lakers finished with 294 yards of total offense while limiting APU to 267 yards, but missed a field goal late in regulation that could havegiven them the lead.
• Since 2006, ODU has an overall record of 61-26 (.701 win percentage.)
• The Panthers are 23-4 in their last 27 games (.852 win percentage.)
• ODU is 27-5 against opponents from Ohio since 2007 (.844 win percentage.)
• During the 16-game regular season win streak, ODU has outscored opponents 688-258, with an average margin of victoryof 26.9 points per game.
• Over the past 23 games, ODU's offensive line has allowed just 11 sacks.
• In two meetings with Grand Valley, the Panthers have averaged 314.5 yards rushing per game. ODU has rushed for 629 yards on 95 attempts (6.6 yards per carry.) Brandon Schoen has run for 413 of those yards.
• The Panthers have intercepted four passes against Grand Valley,with Da'Twane Harris pulling in one in each ofthe two games.
• A total of 63 players saw action in the win over Malone.
Contact: Scott Miles