Venture off campus into Columbus and your next adventure begins. You'll step into the largest and fastest-growing city in Ohio, where historic neighborhoods intersect with vibrant fashion, music, and entertainment scenes. It's a center for technology, health care, global enterprises, and business incubators, with a diversity of lifestyles and opportunities.
Columbus is a city with brains and heart. A city with an arts economy strong enough to support 8,500 jobs thriving side-byside with the world's leading research institutions. As new ideas flourish here, building one of the fastest-growing cities in the nation, Columbus asks—how far can you grow?
Thousands of students have learned that the best way to find yourself is to lose yourself in Columbus. It's a city of textures, open to diverse people, charismatic neighborhoods, and innovative businesses. It's no surprise that Forbes magazine recently ranked Columbus #1 on their list of Opportunity Cities.
COLUMBUS BY THE NUMBERS
- Columbus is rich in culture, with a thriving music community, the Columbus Arts Festival, the third-largest fashion industry in the nation, and a museum of art whose new building was selected by The Wall Street Journal as an example of the “best architecture of 2015.”
- Consistently recognized as top city for equality (achieving a perfect 100 from the Human Rights Campaign), Columbus is a progressive, welcoming community that cherishes diversity. Forbes recently named us one of the top 10 “Best cities for female business founders.”
- Over 450 internationally-owned companies employ people in the Columbus area and help foster a truly metropolitan environment.
- Columbus is the 13th fastest-growing city in the U.S., one of the many reasons why Forbes named us one of America's “Cities of the Future.”
- There's no telling how far a career can grow in Columbus; it's home to four Fortune 500 and 15 Fortune 1,000 companies. No wonder Time recently named us one of the Top 10 “Best cities to start a new career.”
- Attracted by our progressive and intellectually diverse environment, as well as our distinctive affordable neighborhoods, Columbus is a celebrated launch pad for innovative new business, offering them incubators and accelerators to give them the greatest chance for success. The result? We currently have the #4 economy in the nation.
- Enrich your life by making the world a better place in the ways most important to you. Help create affordable housing with Habitat for Humanity. Empower disadvantaged woman to achieve financial independence through Dress for Success. Show some love to our furry friends at the Capital Area Humane Society or volunteer at the #1-ranked Columbus Zoo and Aquarium. Columbus is a caring community where you can find a million ways to make a difference.
- Columbus is home to two of the world's leading private research institutions (Battelle and Chemical Abstract Services) and one of the fastest growing pediatric research centers in the country (Nationwide Childrens' Hospital). In addition, Ohio State's annual research expenditures exceed $967 million.
- The best and brightest minds are coveted in Columbus. (Part of the reason why we were recently rated Most Intelligent City in the U.S. by the Intelligent Communities Forum.) That's why you'll find internships that can jump start your career in every imaginable field while you explore one of the fastest growing business communities in the country.
- Guess where you'll find the nation's largest young professional organization? That's right—right here. The Columbus Young Professionals Club has over 18,000 members. It's a networking group, a social club, a volunteer network, and an athletics coordinator all rolled into one massive membership organization.
- Ready to explore Columbus? You'll find the welcome mat has been rolled out for you. As a student, you can get discounted or free tickets to events, concerts, and trips. Use your unlimited-access COTA bus pass to check out the Gallery Hop in our exciting Short North Arts District, spend a day shopping at the open-air, pedestrian-friendly Easton Town Center, find out why we're a destination city for foodies and more.
- Columbus has 15 metro parks and more than 85 miles of bike trails (the gorgeous Olentangy Trail runs right through campus). Take a day trip to find canoeing, camping, and destinations such as the Hocking Hills for world-class ziplining.
- You may know about Ohio State athletics, but that's just the tip of the sports iceberg in Columbus. Step into the 10,100-seat stadium at Huntington Park to cheer on The Columbus Clippers, a minor league affiliate of the Cleveland Indians. Discover the massive fan base in Crew Stadium for our own Columbus Crew—the 2008 MLS Cup Champions. And in the famed Arena District, you'll find the NHL's Columbus Blue Jackets.